Monday, March 8, 2010

Lesson Learned

When I was younger, nothing excited me more than being able to do adult activities with my mom. It was kind of like doing chores, but I was happy to do them because I thought that completing them made me a big girl. So one Sunday morning my mother was cooking breakfast, and with all the confusion of trying not to step on children while cooking and getting ready for church, she didn't notice me getting the ironing board. I'd seen her iron my dress a million times before, so I thought that I could do it. I got the iron, filled it with water, and plugged it in, just like my mother did. Then I ran and got a big wooden chair. When I was finally ready to start, I sprayed on the starch and started to iron my dress. It was turning out good at first, but then I remember my mom catching me, and when she did, it startled me and I accidentally burned my hand. She immediately got some water and tried to help soothe it, but it didn't help very much. I went through the rest of the day with a burnt hand, and let me tell you, it hurt! That day I learned that it's smarter to take things a step at a time. For example, instead of just getting up there and ironing my dress, I could have asked my mom for help and I would have learned a little at a time. That way I would have learned and I wouldn't have gotten burned.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, even though you burnt your hand, I think it's kind of cute you were trying to be like your mom.

    ReplyDelete